Working with the file system of a smartphone, the user may receive a notification "an error has occurred in the android.process.media application". What does this mean?
What is the android.process.media
Photo, audio and video stored in the gadget memory are used by various applications. Android allows applications to get only the list of required /files and not the entire contents of the system. The android.process.media.
When android.process.media fails?
Error concerning android.process.media may occur due to the following reasons:
- File name or location conflicts.
- In case of errors in the software working with the data.
- From the incorrect deletion of multimedia /files.
- From the system being overloaded with a large number of photos, video or audio /files (insufficient space in the telephone memory).
- If the SD card and the internal memory contain the same folders for pictures.
In Android 4.3 and later versions the android.process.media error is nearly invisible. It has nothing to do with virus infection, so there is no risk for the stored information.
How to fix android.process.media
After receiving a system notification that an error has occurred in the above mentioned application (e.g. "android.process.media stopped"), the gadget owner can use one of several ways to fix it.
Method 1: Clearing the application cache
This is the easiest method to fix the error as most often the application fails due to a cache mismatch and the real location of the /files.
The android.process.media error can be fixed as follows:
- Go to the settings menu and open "Applications".
- Enable to show the system applications through the top menu (activate the "Show system applications").
- Find the "Downloads" (or "Download Manager" depending on the Android version) and carry out the following actions for each one in turn.
- Go to the "Memory" section.
- Hit the "Clear Cache" and "Clear Data" buttons.
- Return to the list of applications and reset the cache of "File Manager", "Media Store", "Google Music".
- Reboot the gadget.
Here we reported the clearing of the cache here. This article tells you how to safely clear the cache and which applications need it.
Method 2. Deleting Google Services Framework and Play Market data
If the previous method did not work, try to fix android process media errors by correcting the media file data.
How to do this:
- Go to Android settings.
- Open "Applications".
- Enable to show the system applications.
- Find the Google Services Framework.
- Clear the cache and remove the data and then tap on "Stop".
- Do the same with Play Market.
- Reboot the gadget.
- If the Google Services Framework and Play Market do not start, do it yourself.
This method seems very likely to avoid the error android process media. Generally, it is better to apply the first and second method of fixing at the same time.
Method 3. Disable synchronization with Google
- Open "Settings" menu, "Accounts" item.
- In the dropdown menu, find the line "Auto-sync data" and uncheck it.
This will cause android.process.media will be stopped for all the Google applications and therefore the error will stop.
Method 4: Reset Android
The described ways to fix the android.process.media error refer to rather loyal ones: they do not affect the data available in the device memory and on the external card. But there are also more aggressive measures. They will surely help to solve the problem, but afterwards all the information from the phone's internal memory will disappear.
Cautions ! Before performing a Hard reset, make a backup of the important /files stored in the phone memory. Files on the sd-card do not require a backup, because Hard Reset will not affect those /files.
Reset your settings this way:
- Go to Settings > General settings.
- Find the tab "Restore &Reset" (or "Reset") > Reset your data.
- Hit the "Reset" button.
- Find the displayed notification about the /files to be deleted.
- Confirm the reset.
Note . A more detailed description of the Hard Reset is described here with all the pros and cons of this method.
This procedure will reset the system to the factory settings and the android process media error will be removed.
Method 5: Removing the SD card from the phone
The most unpleasant reason to the error in question may be the memory card failure. A symptom of the error is the inability to open certain /files on the external media. If this occurs, there is only one solution: replace the SD card with a new one.
You may also try to download applications directly to the internal memory of the device (provided its capacity allows of course). But before the next installation of an application from Google Play, you will have to remove the card from your gadget. This procedure has its disadvantages:
- If the media slot is covered by a case or a battery, it is very inconvenient to remove it;
- removing it frequently may damage both the slot and the memory card;
- each new application you download reduces the free memory space of the Android internal memory.
As a further possible variant we suggest to format the SD card (in this case it remains in the device).
- Firstly transfer all the relevant /files to the internal memory or to a computer.
- For example format the SD card using this program.
- Copy the data stored (point 1) back to the SD card.
Some advice regarding android.process.media
To avoid the android.process.media error carry the following advice:
- Install updates for all downloaded applications. Their newer versions can eliminate the cause of android process media hang.
- If there is an Android OS update to version 4.3 or later, it is advisable to download and install it. The file system error is almost never encountered with these versions.
- The recurring error can be eliminated by using specific programs such as QuickPic. It excludes folders from the file structure check. This requires the necessary settings.
- Another effective way is to create an empty .nomedia file. This file will be placed in all folders you want to exclude from scanning. Then the media checker will monitor only those folders where .nomedia is missing. This reduces the chance of errors in android process media.