In this publication we will take a look at useful apps for your car dashboard. They will free your hands from unnecessary / dangerous manipulations with the phone, allowing you to concentrate on the road. In parallel, we'll mention the best Android Auto alternatives liners. All applications are free in the basic version or offer a trial.
Parkopedia: The "Wikipedia" of parking
The lack of a convenient parking lot makes navigating in an unfamiliar city difficult. At times, it takes a dozen times - even for experienced drivers - to find a suitable place to park a car.
Parkopedia, a handy guide to parking in major cities around the world, comes to the rescue. We highlight the main functions (even if they seem obvious):
- Locate for parking according to location or specific address
- Displays different routes to access parking
- Parkopedia is not always delivering 100% reliable information but it can be used as a reference point. By the way, any user can suggest corrections, point out mistakes of other users. In this way, the application improves itself. Download Parkopedia: Android | iOS
AGAMA Car Launcher: a worthy alternative to Android Auto
Mobile app for comprehensive car information via smartphone/tablet, similar to Android Auto. Install this Launcher as an alternative, put it on your dashboard to be aware of what's going on. AGAMA Car Launcher flexibly adapts to the car design and user requirements.
Main features of the Launcher:
- Setup hotkeys for application quick launch
- Music player controls (all popular applications are supported: AIMP, Spotify, Poweramp, etc.)
- Display GPS speedometer with design and speed limiter
- Smartphone/tablet control via Google Assistant
- Google Maps, Yandex navigation
- Support information duplicating the status bar and Android widgets
Agama Car Launcher represents a convenient shell which integrates all important functions for motorist. So you will not be distracted from the road and at the same time you will have operational access to your gadget.Download Launcher: Android | Developer's website
Car Launcher FREE
Another replacement for Android Auto, you can install on smartphones, tablets and digital car stereos with Android 4.0 and above. The most frequent use of the Launcher is for quick launches, application management, access to the installed navigator (Google Maps / Waze) and widgets.
- Create a list to launch frequently used applications
- Fast access to /files and folders on the smartphone
- GPS speedometer, calculate the distance covered
- Smartphone screen setup: display summary information on home screen
- Call the "smart" assistant: Google / Alice
- Customize the design themes and icons
- Add additional screens and widgets to the dashboard
GPS speedometer (Smart Mobile Tools)
GPS speedometer can be a great addition to the car dashboard. Or a temporary replacement: for example, if the digital speedometer doesn't work. It happens even if it's rare, but often.
The Smart Mobile Tools speedometer measures the speed of the vehicle and the distance travelled via GPS satellites. It is sufficient to open the application, activate it and all metrics will be recorded automatically. If necessary, you can change the unit of measurement, miles / kilometers.
This speedometer does not have a large number of settings, but there is a useful option - speed limit. If the set speed is exceeded, a signal is triggered so that the driver is notified and can reduce the speed in time.
The app is free, the average user rating is 4.5 (high rating for Play Market).
Download GPS speedometerSee also : Best speedometers for Android
HERE WeGo: offline car navigator
If you are looking for the most functional offline car navigator, the best recommendation is HERE WeGo. It is suitable for pedestrians, hikers, cyclists and motorists.
Autonomous mode is the main "end" of this navigator and guide. HERE WeGo will not show you the traffic jams and warning about the cameras (all that depends on a mobile internet connection), but you will find a lot of useful information. Nearest parking lots and their availability, opening times of shops and museums, ticket prices. Supports over 1000 major cities worldwide - Berlin, Moscow, Kiev, London, etc.
Online HERE WeGo allows you to construct alternative routes, monitor traffic conditions - in general, even more features every motorist needs.
If you're travelling and you're not sure that the internet will be with you everywhere - put HERE WeGo.Download HERE WeGo: Android
Google Maps: navigate cities and countries
The official Google app for Android and iOS users. With it, you will turn your mobile device into a full-fledged and free gps navigator.
- tight integration with the Google Maps service of the same name,
- fast and precise route guidance,
- real time traffic updates,
- moves you to know the situation on the road,
- completes offline work (requires GPS satellite connection).
The last versions of Google Maps application have a speedometer in its composition. The navigator also provides information on radar (speed cameras), indicating toll roads and offers advice on how to avoid them.Download Google Maps: Android | iOS
Waze: free navigator with detailed maps
This gps-navigator is the nearest alternative to Google Maps. It is developed by a community of enthusiasts, using a crowdsourcing model. What are the advantages of Waze compared to its competitors?
- Waze has the best map detail, especially in unpopular areas and small towns
- Car drivers will be able to forecast traffic with high precision (minute by minute, in near real-time)
- Building alternate routes, avoiding the toll roads
- Set up voice guidance: So, you can "invite" Morgan Freeman as an assistant or record your own voice
- Tight integration with the Android Auto notification system
The navigator has some inconveniences / disadvantages (compared to HERE WeGo and Google Maps). In particular, the offline mode is far from perfect and not intuitive.Download Waze: Android | iOS