iPhone can record the user's movements and report the current location of the device. This is needed to recall a route, a specific location, or just to be aware of the movements of the owner or the person who has agreed to share their gps coordinates with you. In this article, let's look at the frequently asked questions about using GPS on iPhone and iPad:
How to know your current location on a map
In iOS, it is very easy to do this! If you want to know where you are now,
- Open any navigator or maps, like Google Maps.
- Turn on GPS on iPhone, if not already done, through the quick settings panel or by going to Settings > Privacy > Geolocation Services.
- Return to Google Maps, tap on the current geolocation icon.
- View the address where you are now.
- If necessary, copy the address to the clipboard or take a screenshot.
The GPS positioning tutorial is suitable not only for iPhone 10, 12, 13, iPad, but also for Android, since Google Maps is installed in the OS by default.
How to specify your coordinates via iPhone
In the latest versions of the Apple devices, iOS 14 and iPadOS 15, it is possible to specify very precisely the latitude and longitude of the location where you are. In addition, the user can assign permissions to individual apps so that they can also specify the location of the iOS device.
The geolocation accuracy is enabled by one setting:
- Go to Settings > Privacy > Geolocation Services
- Select an application such as Apple Maps or Google Maps.
- Set the Exact Geo-Location option to On or Off.
Can you find out the coordinates of a switched off phone
The location tracking uses a special sensor which is powered by the battery. Therefore if the phone is de-energized it will not transmit any position data.
If you press the Power button to simply turn off the phone's screen, the location data may theoretically be accessible via services like locator (provided the iPhone is preset), since the GPS module is active.
If GPS is disabled, but wi-fi connection is active, your location may also be accessible by third parties.
The phone's location is also transmitted via the connection to the mobile towers. The operator who owns the sim card has information about the location from which your phone is connected to the station. If you try to contact someone by phone, you may be tracked by the cell towers, since they always have your signal.
How to know if you are being watched
How to track iPhone on Android
If you need to track the iPhone coordinates, and you only have the Android, no problem! Thanks to iPhone locator you can do it with any device, also with Android OS.
Note . This feature is useful when you have lost your iPhone (at your apartment, in another city) or if it is stolen and you would like to locate it by its coordinates on the map.
The iPhone must have the Send Last Location option pre-activated. Its essence is to send a distress signal before disconnecting the tethered iOS device (before the battery is drained). However, with the latest versions of iOS, it is possible to send a distress signal even when the device is turned off.
- Open any browser on the Android OS
- Open iCloud.com
- Log in with your Apple ID
- In the menu, select the option Find iPhone and the device you lost
- Next, select one of the deleted iPhone options:
- Play sound
- Lock phone
- Clear all data remotely
How to enable location services on iPhone
For the Locator (Find My) app to work fully on iPhone, follow the steps:
- Go to Settings > Privacy
- Further - Geolocation Services
- Make sure that the Geolocation Services option is enabled, the slider is set to On.
- Scroll through the list and find the application you are interested in.
- Click on its name and select the option:
- Never: Prohibit receiving location information
- Ask next time: the next time you request, you can specify the desired services option.
- When using an application: in case this application is running and its window is displayed on the screen.
- Allow background data
Does location tracking violate privacy
This is actually a rhetorical question, since the services you use are de facto anonymous, and there is nothing you can do about it except stop using them, which is often impossible. Location tracking is used by most corporations because it is an essential part of marketing. Corporations need to know where you are in order to broadcast services as well as advertising services.
Apple aims to collect only the most relevant information about a user's movements.
Google can capture the history of movements through the Maps application, specifically through Google Maps Timeline. Subsequently, it is possible to reconstruct exactly the chronology and route of the device and therefore the user.
Tip . If you wish, you can disable all tracking features on both iOS and Android.
How to enable tracking on iPhone / iPad
How to save your location history (timeline) on your iOS devices ( iPhone and iPad).
- Go to Privacy in iOS Settings.
- Log on to Location Services > System Services.
- The Important Geo-Positions option is responsible for saving the significant locations.
Log on to History: here you will find all the significant places that you have visited regularly.
How to track a person
How to share a location with another user. The main condition is to obtain the permission to send the coordinates.
In brief, the solution is the following: using the Locator app (installed by default on iPhones) you enable the location sharing. Then the other users have access to your coordinates.
Note . You can disable the tracking at any time.
In iOS, it is not necessary to install any additional software for location tracking. it is sufficient to use the Find My app utility. However, you need to do some basic settings for it to start doing its function of tracking your movement. So, let's see what these settings are.
- Open the locator application (Find My on iOS)
- Go to the tab People
- A window will appear with the button Start sharing geo position. Accept the suggestion.
- In the field "To:" you have to select the person you want to share your location with from the address book.
- Press Send to confirm.
- After you have sent the invitation, you can learn more about the person by clicking on the name.
- To exchange coordinates, click on Ask to Follow Location.
- If the user agrees to provide location information, you will see his address after accepting the invitation.
If this is not tracking?
A clarification is needed. The tracking method described above assumes that the owner of the tracked device is informed or makes the setting on his own initiative. The tracking function must not be used covertly from the user, as his privacy is thereby compromised.
The person to whom you have sent the notification. must allow access to the location. If he has not done this, you will consequently not see his coordinates on your iPhone.
To enable tracking, you must make a location request to your iPhone. Again, send him the request and ask him to confirm.