You don't have to go to Paris to have your photo in front of the Eiffel Tower garner hundreds of admiring comments on Instagram. Just learn how to superimpose one photo on top of another.
We've prepared a selection of the best apps with this feature for your smartphone. We will tell you about their advantages and disadvantages, cost and functionality, as well as describe step by step the photo overlay tool in the simplest apps. Read to the end and go on a round-the-world photo journey from the comfort of your home. For your convenience, we have placed the applications in order of increasing difficulty of mastering.
The easiest application to learn in our selection. But in spite of the small number of tools, Photo Layers does a great job of superimposing photos over photos. If you've never encountered photo processing, start with this app. You may download it here.
|The advantages||The disadvantages|
| || |
How to superimpose a photo in PhotoLayers
- Open the first photo and adjust the size if necessary.
- Click Add Photo and select the second photo.
- Go to Cut. There are several options to remove the background: Manual - Where you have drawn, you have deleted; Magic - Bypass the object you want to keep and the application will detect the edges; Auto - Deletes pixels similar to the one you have selected. If you have deleted something superfluous you should use Repair.
- Click Done in the upper right corner. You will be prompted to choose the intensity of the edge blur. If you value 1 to 4 is important for a realistic photo, choose again
- Click Done and enjoy the results. Now you can add shadows, experiment with colors and light settings.
A simple, intuitive application with a minimalist functionality. Its main task is to merge your photos, and it does a brilliant job. You can use all the functions of the application for free. You will be offered only 59 rubles for a lifetime of disabling advertising and removing the watermark on your finished collages. You can download it here.
| || |
How to mix images in Photo Blender
- First choose a background by clicking on the shortcut in the bottom left corner. This can be your own photo, an image from the Pixabay site, an image from the application or simply a colored rectangle.
- Click on the second icon on the left and choose a photo to blend. In this way you can add any number of images.
- For the superimposition adjustment you select a photo, two sliders appear at the bottom. One adjusts the transparency of the image, the other one modifies the visible area. In the last label of the bottom row you will find an eraser with which you can erase what is superfluous.
- You will find a tick in the upper right corner. You are then directed to the menu to edit your masterpiece. You can change the contrast, the saturation, the brightness and the sharpness of the colors. Here you will find different effects to embellish, as well as frames, text and emoticons to overlay.
- Save and admire.
This app is the little brother of the Pixlr family of photo editors. Mobile Pixlr is designed more for photo processing. It can easily correct red eyes and whiten teeth, adjust the right light and even sketch a paint on your photo.
Pixlr can do the same but much worse than other Pixlr offerings in our selection.
The free version of the application has enough features for a complete work. The premium subscription will give offline access, 202 stickers, 182 overlays, 150 borders and fonts, no ads. It costs 149 rubles per month or 790 per year. The first 3 days of the annual subscription are free. You can download Pixlr here.
| || |
Often we find photos where one image seems to flow into another. Many professional photographers use this effect to create unique pictures. But simple users can do it too with the help of different photo processing services. One of them is Canva. It is an online photo editor that has a number of tools, including photo overlay. The service will be useful for both novice and professional photographers, as well as for amateurs. The interface is intuitive and easy to learn. For ease of use, the service has a mobile application for Android and IOS.
The application has been developed as an online editor and is not inferior to its older brother in functionality. Initially Canva was created for editing graphics and documents. Now the application has a lot of different tools for creation of any designs: banners, logos, business cards, posts and stories for social networks, presentations, and even web pages. Using Canva you can easily put an image into a picture.
Most of the features are available in the free version. But a paid subscription gives access to very useful tools: adding your own fonts, automatic background removal, scheduling your publications in social networks and much more. Subscription costs 349 rubles for a month and 3590 for a year. PRO version is free for the first 7 days. Download Canva here.
Step-by-step photo overlay instructions
Learn in detail how to create an original photo using the double exposure tool. To do this, you have to:
- Go to the service or to the mobile app Canva
- Click on "Get overlay effect". You will be automatically brought to the service editor.
- Go to the "photo" section in the column on the left or upload your photos directly to the white space of the editor.
- Select the photo you wish to make the background.
- Add a second photo you wish to overlay to the background.
- Click the photo of your choice to find the "Transparent" icon in the toolbar at the top.
- In the panel that opens use the slider to adjust the parameter as you wish.
- Save the image by any of the methods you like (download, put in a social network, send by e-mail, etc.)
This simple algorithm helps you to superimpose one photo on another and create extraordinary pictures. And with the additional tools of the service: brightness, contrast, photo cropping, etc., you will be able to transform your pictures into real masterpieces!
Trying the editor for myself, I have noted some points, which I share with you.
| || |
It should be noted that the advantages do outweigh the drawbacks of the editor. Therefore, Canva is a very user friendly and easy to use service for almost anyone.
Mass-images: an overview of the online photo editor
This free online photo editing resource is prepared for those who are looking for an alternative to applications and programs. Read below for the features, pros and cons of mass-images as well as a short step by step guide on how the service works, using the example of the photo overlay tool.
Picture Batch Processing
The //mass-images.pro/ru was created for batch image correction. The site is able to uniquely and automatically improve the quality of any number of photos. You can also apply filters, frames, effects and watermarks. Upload your originals to the site, select your tools and download an archive of all the pictures at once. This kind of editing is useful for online productions as well as for creators to add watermarks.
The Online Editor has more functions. The meme generator comes in handy for creating social media content. Creativity can be created either from your own image or by using ready-made templates on the website.
The single image photo editor can partially replace "heavy" Photoshop. Here are the standard adjustments for brightness, sharpness, saturation and contrast. Works well here and the function autocorrect. You may also experiment with the application of different effects in the photo editor.
How to apply one image to another one in Mass-images:
- Open the desired tool in the batch photo processing or by clicking on the link.
- Select the file with the initial photo.
- Load the image to be imposed. Kindly note that the transparent background in the original image will be replaced by black.
- Change the settings if necessary. We provide the option for the transparency, the size, and the position of the upper image.
- Look at the result and if you are satisfied with the download.
The advantages of Mass-images:
- Online editing, and consequently you do not need to use any programs in the memory.
- Large set of tools.
- All the editor tools are free.
- The technical support for the site is discontinued and the editor constantly offers to move to another site. For the same reason the batch processing function is not available anymore in Mass-images.
- The site is overloaded with advertisements. The problem can be solved with an ad blocking program. But this is an unpleasant fact.
- It is not possible to apply the image with transparent background, this greatly reduces the possibilities of this function.
The disadvantages of the service
- The technical support for the site is removed and the editor constantly suggests to go to another site. For the same reason the batch processing function is no longer available for Mass-images
- The site is overloaded with advertisements. The problem can be solved with an ad blocking program.
- It is not possible to apply a transparent background, making this feature very limited.
* * *
You can now easily mix your photos with each other by doing image-to-picture compositing. We recommend you to try all the versions of the picture to find the one that suits you best. And do not be afraid to experiment and make mistakes. That's how masterpieces are born.