Google Assistant is an application based on artificial intelligence. Its main functions are:
- finding the necessary information according to the given parameters,
- dialogue with the user, answering the voice requests,
- simplifying the dialing, converting speech to SMS messages,
- replicating information: data about the weather, traffic situation, etc.
Activating Google Assistant on any modern smartphone running Android operating system by using the "OK Google" phrase.
Many users have said that Google Assistant can perform completely unwanted functions, sometimes even annoying. For example, it can appear several times after unlocking the phone and having to close it before performing an action, which is time-consuming. It randomly starts up when the phone is in a bag or pocket, catches part of a conversation and takes it as a question. Well, and, of course, answers at the most inopportune moment.
So there is a natural need to deactivate this app on Android. Today's review will focus on how to disable Google Assistant on Xiaomi, HTC, Fly, and other devices.
Disabling Google Assistant through settings
Disabling Voice Assistant (and removing it from your phone screen) is as easy as any other application. Simply click on the icon and drag it to the Trash. However, keep in mind: the utility is still listed as a system app and may be active.
The Google Assistant on Android can be completely disabled through the system applet "Applications". To do this, enter:
- Open the "Settings" menu.
- Find the "Devices" section and in it the "Applications" item.
- The screen will list all available applications and in the top right corner you will see an icon in the form of a gear.
- Clicking on this icon will bring up a menu with further settings. Among these you should find the "Assistant and Voice Input" item and then select the "Assistant" tab at the top of the list.
- A window will open prompting you to select a program to control the device. To disable Google Assistant you should simply click the "No" button.
These actions will disable all voice commands and the assistant will no longer be triggered by the "OK, Google" voice prompt.
Disabling Google Assistant via the Home button
A safer method is to disable Google Assistant via the Home button. In this case, you will no longer see notifications on your device screen that you need to turn on the assistant. To do this you should:
- Hold down the "Home" button on the device screen, wait for the assistant to start.
- A white-blue box icon with a handle will appear in the upper right corner. Click on it.
- In the list displayed, go to "Settings - Phone".
- The switch located next to the Google Assistant application should be set to "Disable".
Google Assistant will be disabled.
Remove Google Assistant updates
The Virtual Assistant is a relatively new software development not present in previous Google versions. Therefore, you can get rid of Google Assistant by uninstalling all updates. This approach has one disadvantage: The new features of the application which the user enjoyed will also become unavailable.
- In the "Settings" menu, find the "Applications" tab, then "App Manager" and tap "Google".
- When the application opens, a menu symbol appears in the form of three small dots. Once inside you should find and tap on "Remove Updates".
- A pop-up window will ask you to confirm the uninstall action, you should tap on "Yes".
How to reactivate Google Assistant
Method 1 . You can reactivate the Assistant using the Home button.
- Start the Assistant by holding down the Home button.
- In the settings menu, open the "Phone" tab.
- Set the slider next to Google Assistant to the "Enable" position.
Method 2 . You may restore Google Assistant in a different way:
- Launch the Google application.
- Open the menu and select "Settings".
- In the "Google Assistant" section, enable the Assistant.
If this feature is not available or the Assistant was completely removed from your system, you may download and reinstall it from the official Google Play website.
What can be used instead of Google Assistant
In addition to Google Assistant, other assistant applications are popular and can be used instead of the standard Android component. Let's consider them.
Yandex Assistant (Alice)
The artificial intelligence Alice from Yandex has a wide functionality and performs a large number of different actions. The main list is as follows:
- finding information on the Internet;
- controlling applications;
- answering questions;
- providing information about the weather, exchange rates, time, traffic situation etc.
- calls to specified numbers;
- enables music;
- games and communication.
Apple's Siri voice assistant
The Siri assistant was originally available through the App Store for iOS, but was later bought out by Apple and applied in their gadgets. Siri has the following features:
- Calls and sends messages through voice commands;
- Informs about the weather conditions anywhere in the world;
- Play any music present on the device;
- Manages alarms and timers;
- Connects to the "Smart Home" system, controls outlets, switches, air conditioning, etc.
Amazon Alexa Virtual Assistant
Amazon Alexa works on many mobile devices and is constantly being developed and updated. The application allows one to:
- make a daily or weekly to-do list;
- connect to a Smart Home;
- listen to favourite music;
- access entertainment services provided by other developers;
- find results of sport events;
- search the Internet;
- work with different Google services.
The application works (for now) in English only.<1